Archive for December, 2008
The cds in this order represent a variety of genres including Bollywood, Anime, Afrobeat, African Jazz/Pop, Indian Fusion, and Celtic New Age. Click on the links below to hear excerpts from them. As this is just a sampling of what we have to offer, come on in to the main library at Copley Square or any one of our branches conveniently located throughout the city of Boston and “check out” more of our fabulous world music collection. For your additional convenience, you can reserve copies online via our library catalog and you will be notified when the item is in and ready to be picked-up.
1. Alagbon Close/Why Black Man Dey Suffer – Fela Kuti (Nigeria)
2. Be Thou My Vision: Celtic Hymns – David Arkenstone (Celtic)
3. Confluence II – Rahul Sharma and Richard Clayderman (India/France)
4. God Tussi Great Ho (Soundtrack) – Various artists (India)
5. In the 7th Moon… – Kasai Allstars (Congo)
6. Mali Koura – Issa Bagayogo (Mali)
7. Robotech- The Shadow Chronicles (Soundtrack) – Various artists (Japan)
8. Singh Is Kinng (Sountrack) – Various artists (India)
The cds in this order contain Latin hits. Click on the links below to hear excerpts from them. As this is just a sampling of what we have to offer, come on in to the main library at Copley Square or any one of our branches conveniently located throughout the city of Boston and “check out” more of our fabulous world music collection. For your additional convenience, you can reserve copies online via our library catalog and you will be notified when the item is in and ready to be picked-up.
1. 17 – Ricky Martin (Puerto Rico)
2. Para Siempre – El Chapo (Mexico)
3.Te Amo – Makano (Panama)
My affinity for world music naturally extends to a great appreciation of world culture in general. Out of this has grown a real motivation as well as sense of personal responsibility to preserve this valuable aspect of humanity in all of its delicious diversity through focused attention to the general overall well-being of our wonderful planet. It is my sincere hope that all of the many peoples of the world learn to appreciate their ethnic differences rather than fear them and work together in harmony to co-create a world in which we all can live with a true sense of global peace, security, and stability. It is with this vision in mind that I have become an active member in the Gobal Coherence Initiative.
The Global Coherance Initiative (GCI)’s mission is to re-create our planet as a haven of peace and total well-being on all levels, through the deliberate activation of the collective global consciousness of its members. This scientifically-based organization bases its philosophy and actions upon the results of actual research studies which have determined the power of positive heartfelt emotions to effect the mind and ultimately enhance the outcome of ones intentions in extraordinary ways. CGI strengthens the presence of such powerful emotions amongst its membership by connecting globally conscious individuals with like-minded intentions of goodwill, educating its membership about ways to increase their hearts’ effectiveness in fulfilling its role as a powerful catalyse of feelings of peace, harmony, and security, guiding its members as to when, where and how to most effectively focus their heartfelt energies both individually and collectively towards the accomplishment of a state of total well-being both with respect to themselves and more importantly the world as a whole, and monitoring organizational progress towards the attainment of its goals, while communicating the results to the membership.
If the current status of our world at large is of concern to you in any way (i.e. politically, economically, climatically, etc.) then I suggest you click on the link to CGI’s web site and have a look around. I assure you that contributing your heartfelt energies of goodwill on a global scale will not only be of benefit to the entire planet, but to your personal life as well, in numerous and imeasurable ways.
Part of my job at the BPL is to select the world music cds to be purchased for our collection. It’s a part of my work that I find immensely satisfying, not only because I know that I am making great music available for the public to sample, but also that I have the opportunity to promote this genre which I truly love and believe should be greatly appreciated as an extremely valuable asset to our American society. This is the first of what will be many many posts which list various titles of world music in our cd collection. I hope you will come into the library and quite literally, check it out! You can also reserve cds online right from your own personal computer via the library catalog. As this is an introduction to our world music collection, I have chosen to take a global approach, but many of my later listings will be centered around more specific styles of music or regions of the world. Click on the links to hear excerpts from the cds.
1. Putumayo Presents World Hits – Various artists
2. Think Global: World Christmas – Various artists
3. African Spirit – Soweto Gospel Choir (South Africa)
4. Make the Most of Your Time on Earth – Various artists
5. Buena Vista Social Club At Carnegie Hall – Buena Vista Social Club (Cuba)
6. Big Blue Ball – Various artists
7. Sound of the World – Various artists
8. Mande Variations – Toumani Diabate (Mali)
9. Rough Guide to Sufi Music – Various artists
10. An Ancient Muse – Loreena McKennitt (Global Fusion)
11. Reggae Gold (2007) – Various artists
12. Volare! The Very Best of the Gypsy Kings – Gypsy Kings (Spanish/Global Fusion)
13. Concerto em Lisboa – Mariza (Portugal)
14. Spirit of the Glen – Royal Scots Dragon Guards (Scotland)
15. In the Moment – Alasdair Fraser & Natalie Haas (Scotland/USA)
16. New Journey – Celtic Woman
17. Alive – Sa DingDing (China)
18. Raga at Fast Track – Ravi Shankar (India)
19. Rough Guide to Bollywood Gold – Various artists (India)
20. Ana Hina – Natacha Atlas (Arabic/Global Fusion)